|Information for Prospective Buyers
Puppy Reservation Process and Information
* All litter information should be on this web site. Please contact me directly if you can’t find the answer to your question. Contact me either by e-mail or phone. 612-246-1001.
* All puppies are sold with a contract which must be signed before the pup is picked up. Please read the purchase agreement carefully as it outlines your responsibilities as well as mine. Please contact me with any questions you may have.
* You will be put on my waiting list in order of when I receive your questionnaire and deposit form. A $300 deposit is payable using Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org or Venmo at 612-246-1001 and is considered a good faith down payment for a puppy. Payment is due in full before taking your puppy home. I prefer using Paypal or Venmo but will accept a personal check if you are from the United States. All foreign sales must be through PayPal. Your $300.00 deposit can be applied to a specific litter that you are interested in, or to any upcoming announced breeding. Deposits are non-refundable prior to the puppies’ 8 week old evaluations. In the event that no puppy in the litter is a suitable match for you or the pregnancy fails to take, your deposit is fully refundable or you can transfer it to a future litter.
* Finding the right home for each puppy is of utmost importance to me. I always reserve the right to decide who receives one of my puppies.
* Although I will try my best to get you a puppy from the litter you are interested in, being put on the waiting list does not guarantee you will receive a puppy from that litter. There are simply too many variables involved such as litter size, the number of show quality puppies, sex of the puppies, etc. In some cases, especially with small litters, there may be no pet puppies or no show quality puppies available. If there is no puppy available from the particular litter you are waiting for, you have the option of staying on the waiting list for the next litter.
* Show quality puppies are ALWAYS chosen first and their placement takes priority over the choosing of pet puppies. This is in part due to the particular requirements for show puppies. Show quality puppies are ONLY placed in homes where the owner is committed to showing them. If you want to get involved in conformation, I would love to mentor you!
* Puppies will go home at about 8-9 weeks. I will help you choose which puppies go to which homes based on the requirements of the buyer. After 8 weeks of observation, a puppy temperament test, and a puppy structure evaluation, I have a good idea which pup will work for which family. My priority is to make sure that each pup is in the right home.
* If none of my puppies available are suitable, you may wait for the next litter or go to another breeder. I am always happy to make referrals to other reputable breeders.
Available – puppy is available
Pending – puppy is pending for a show breed quality, but will be available if pet/performance quality.
Sold – Puppy has a home waiting and is no longer available.
Hold – Deposit is on its way and must arrive in 72 hours or the puppy is released and available.
Dog will be Spayed/Neutered.
Might you be willing to have a dog with breeding/show potential partner with Birchview? You would provide the extra special love, care and affection. Birchview would be responsible for countless hours researching the breed, proving breeding worthiness, determining the best mates, marketing the puppies or stud dog, attending seminars, etc. You could be as involved or un-involved as you want to be.
Steve and I want to keep the number of MAS in our home very small. They are so smart and devoted, and deserve to be the center of a family’s life. While we would like to be involved with bettering the breed, we are very limited (by choice) as to the number of dogs we keep at home.
If there is not a puppy in the litter that appears to be suited to your needs in terms of temperament, performance or breeding potential, etc., then we will not sell you a puppy from this litter. We will refund your deposit, or at your request, hold it towards a puppy from another litter. In addition, if for any reason buyer or seller decides not to buy or sell a puppy, the deposit will be returned to you.
A few days before the puppies turn 8 weeks they will be evaluated.
- Temperament Test
- Structure Test
- Vet Evaluation
- Eye Exam
This helps us get an idea of the home the for which the puppy is best suited. We place pups in homes with their best chance for success! Only after the above testing, will you be offered a specific puppy or a choice of puppies. First come is not necessarily first served with deposits, because it is important to us that you and your puppy are a good match.
As the breeders, we have intimate knowledge of each puppy in the litter based on 8 weeks of close observation. This method has worked well Birchview for almost 20 years, although we understand it is hard not to know which cutie is coming home with you…
Pups are $1,500 and up. (shipping is extra and is the responsibility of the buyer)
Puppies going to a show/breed home are at private treaty. All puppies in show/breed homes are sold on a co-ownership with Birchview until all terms of the show/breed contract are fulfilled.
What vaccinations do you give?
Puppies are wormed at 2, 4, and 6 weeks. I will give the first Parvo/Distemper at 7-8 weeks. All puppies leave here current on vaccinations and wormings.
Who are your dogs registered with and do I get registration papers?
My puppies come with registration in the breed name Miniature American Shepherd (the name given to Mini Aussies in AKC). If you are purchasing a puppy on a spay/neuter agreement you will receive Limited Papers showing the dog is not allowed to be bred. You will then have to mail in for your papers as I cross out the boxes to register online so AKC is aware of the Limited status of your puppy. Show/breed homes are given paperwork to register their puppies, with me being listed as the co-owner of said puppy.
Are your puppies potty trained and crate trained?
box train them using pellets. By the time they leave here at 8 weeks they are litter box trained but not housebroken. Several of my puppy buyers have told me it is very easy to housebreak their puppy after learning
When the pups are between 6-7 weeks old I start to crate train them for meals and for short periods of time through out the day. All of my older puppies or dogs that I sell are crate trained.
What type of health testing do you do?
PennHip to verify that hip dysplasia is not present. I also test for MDR1, PRCD, Hereditary Cataracts, and
Degenerative Myelopathy. You can learn more about these by visiting my Links page, and clicking the websites
under Health Testing.
Do you offer a health guarantee?
I saw a puppy for “such and such amount”. Will you lower your price to that?
“Before and After Getting Your New Puppy” By Ian Dunbar
“The Other End of the Leash” By Patricia McConnell
“The Art of Raising a Puppy” By the Monks of New Skete
“How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With” By Clarice Rutherford and David Neil
“Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog” By Carol Lea Benjamin
“Surviving Your Dog’s Adolescence” By Carol Lea Benjamin
|Thank you for taking the time to read. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Sharon Sloper
|What do my puppies and dogs eat?
My pups are weaned onto a raw diet.See the Health and Diet tab for more information.